Our egg license came in the mail today, so our layer operation is official! Our flock of chicks will not be laying until the October/November timeframe, but that’s okay because we still have lots to do…
- Purchase electric poultry netting.
- Purchase small trailer to mount water tanks, feed containers, feeders, battery and solar fence charger.
- Purchase egg washer, egg scales, egg candle.
- Order cartons and stamps.
- Build a mobile shelter with nesting boxes.
- Prepare a winter shelter and enclosure for the months when forage is no longer available (December, January, February).
- Build a feed storage facility so we can buy our feed in bulk.
- Put the finishing touches on our brochures and signs.
[The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not smashing it.]